Our Department
Staff Units
Related Links

Want to work for Houma Fire Department?

Minimum Requirements
Applicants must:
  • Be 18 years of age or older
  • Have a high school diploma or equivalent.
  • Have a valid Louisiana driver's license
  • Pass a Civil Service Entrance Exam
After offer of employment:
  • Pass a physical
  • Pass a drug screen
  • Pass a Firefighter Recruit training program that follows Firefighter I as defined by NFPA 1001 standard.

Hiring Process
Individuals must apply for a Civil Service Entrance Exam. Applications may be obtained at:
Central Fire Station
600 Wood Street
Houma, La 70360
(985) 873-6391

Applications will be reviewed by the civil service board for approval. Once approved, applicants will be informed by mail of the test date, time, and location. Applicants must make a passing score (75 or above) to be placed on an eligibility list. The list is good for 18 months, after that the applicant will have to re-submit an application to test again.
Pay and Benefits
Firefighters starting pay is $2,221.20 per month or $26,654.40 per year.

After 1 year of employment with Firefighter I certification, all firefighters receive State Supplemental pay which is an additional $500 per month.

All firefighters are enrolled in the Louisiana State Firefighter's Retirement System and receive medical & dental insurance after 90 days on the job.


Do I have to pay a fee to take a civil service test?

The city I wish to work for is not giving a civil service entrance exam, can I take the test in another city and transfer my score?
Yes. You must, however, submit an application to the board where you wish to take the test, as well as to the board in the jurisdiction where you wish to be hired. Then once you have received a passing score, you may report your passing score to the board in the city or fire protection district where you wish be employed.

If I take an entrance Firefighter test, do I have to wait a specific time period before taking it again?
No, these exams can be taken as often as they are given.

Can I have veterans' points added to my score?
You may have five (5) veterans' points added to your passing score only for the entrance classes, if you have claimed veterans' preference on your application for admission to the test. Five-point veteran's preference is available to former military personnel who were discharged under honorable conditions from active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces during a war, or in a peacetime campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized.

When & where are the entrance test given?
You can find the test dates on the Office of State Examiner website.