Emergency Alert!

More on tohsep.com »

Do you have
what it takes?

The City of Houma Fire Department seeks highly motivated individuals who will serve our community with integrity and courage, committing themselves to protecting the lives and property of the citizens of Houma.

Pay & Benefits

  • Firefighters' starting pay is $26,054.40 per year.
  • After 1 year of employment with Firefighter I certification, all firefighters receive state supplemental pay (an additional $500 per month).
  • All firefighters are eligible to be enrolled in the Louisiana State Firefighter's Retirement System and receive medical and dental insurance after 90 days on the job.


You must have a high school diploma or equivalent, including homeschooling projects.

You must be at least 18 years of age and have a valid Louisiana driver's license.

You must pass a Civil Service Entrance Exam.

How to Apply

  • Individuals must apply for a Civil Service Entrance Exam. Print and fill out an application from the Louisiana Office of State Examiner website.
  • Applications should be delivered in person to:
    Central Fire Station
    600 Wood Street
    Houma, LA 70360
    (985) 873-6391
  • Applications will be reviewed by the civil service board for approval. Once approved, applicants will be informed by mail of the test date, time, and location. Applicants must make a passing score (75 or above) to be placed on an eligibility list. The list is good for 18 months. After that the applicant will have to resubmit an application to test again.

After an Offer of Employment

You must submit to an interview.

You must pass a physical and a drug screen.

You must pass a Firefighter Recruit training program that follows Firefighter I as defined by NFPA 1001 standard.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to pay a fee to take a civil service test?


The city I wish to work for is not giving a civil service entrance exam. Can I take the test in another city and transfer my score?

Yes. You must, however, submit an application to the board where you wish to take the test, as well as to the board in the jurisdiction where you wish to be hired. Once you have received a passing score, you may report your passing score to the board in the city or fire protection district where you wish to be employed.

If I take an entrance firefighter test, do I have to wait a specific time period before taking it again?

No, these exams can be taken as often as they are given.

Can I have veterans’ points added to my score?

If you have claimed veterans’ preference on your application for admission to the test, you may have 5 veterans’ points added to your passing score for the entrance classes only. Five-point veterans' preference is available to former military personnel who were discharged under honorable conditions from active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces during a war, or in a peacetime campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized. More information can be found in the OPRCS Board Manual on the Office of State Examiner website.

When and where are the entrance tests given?

You can find the test dates on the Office of State Examiner website.