Home
T.P.C.G.
Our Department
Training
Inspection/Prevention
Stations
Apparatus
Staff Units
Related Links

Originating with thirty-six of the most prominent and influential men of the community, the Houma fire Company No. 1 was organized on July 6, 1872, and its charter was amended on November 27, 1896.
This company of firemen was very constructive and displayed much activity during the many years of its existence. It was instrumental in the building of a hall on the batture in front of the courthouse in which to hold its meetings and care for its apparatus. Subsequently, when its building became inadequate for the purposes which the company had in mind, the structure was removed and used as a public school building. On the same site was erected an opera house, which served many useful purposes until its demolition in 1928.
Houma Hook and Ladder Company No. 1 was incorporated on March 1, 1888, and likewise, was composed of men of prestige in the community, It built a hall at the northeast corner of Church and Verret Streets, which, in addition to housing the fire apparatus and serving as a meeting place, was also used for social entertainments, a place for holding court when the courthouse was being remodeled, a public school room, and finally, as a fire-station for the first motorized apparatus secured by the city.
On January 6, 1920, the Houma fire Company No. 1 was reorganized. Among its large membership may still be seen the names of some of those who were affiliated with the older fire companies. Some of these veterans have passed the age of active fire duty, but still possess the spirit as of old, which, in a way, is of extreme importance in the up building and maintaining the standards of the organization.

Houma Fire Department still has the city's first motorized fire engine, a 1916 American LaFrance. Old No. 1 was dedicated in the name of Effie Jane Hellier, Daughter of Harry Hellier, on July 4, 1918. Mr. Hellier was the Vice-President of the fire company at that time. Some of the original equipment, such as ladders, lanterns and a water can are still on the old engine today. The Houma Firefighters Association has begun work to restore the engine on the old truck to operating condition.
Houma Fire Department also has one of the original hand operated pumpers that was used back in the 1800's.

Fire Chiefs of Houma Fire Department
A.J. Bethancourt1916 - 1936
Hewitt LeBoeuf1936 - 1946
Leonce Doiron1946 - 1963
Homer Bland1963 - 1970
Bennie Bourg1973 - 1974
Howard Oubre1975 - 1980
Ernest Miller, Sr.1980 - 1987
Gale LeBoeuf1987 - 1997
John Voisin1998 - 2000
Brian Hebert2000 - 2006
Daniel Scott2006 - 2008
Todd Dufrene2009 - Present